RefreshCapcha

Author Topic: Bit Che doesn't work on win2003!?  (Read 9106 times)

maticer

Bit Che doesn't work on win2003!?
« on: December 14, 2007, 01:41:21 am »
Hi,

I can't find anywhere a complain for most current version - it doesn't work on Win2003!? I can see some old posts and that this bug was removed latter on.
I tried on 2 machine with win2003 ES SP2 and it doesn't work. Bit che starts in task manager and after few seconds it is closed.

Thanks for help!
Cheers,
Matic

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
Re: Bit Che doesn't work on win2003!?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 02:47:23 am »
That's very strange because it does work on XP x64 which is based off Win 2003, I've just informed Chip (the developer) of this now over IRC.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
Re: Bit Che doesn't work on win2003!?
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 05:17:18 am »
After some research, I found that Windows 2003 Server SP2 turns DEP (data execution prevention) ON by default for ALL programs. If you are having problems with Bit Che starting up and immediately closing the process with or without an error message, this is most likely due to DEP not playing nice with Bit_Che.exe. While I look into a solution in the future that does not require any user configuring, here is a possible permanent FIX for the problem.

1.  Either right click on "My Computer" icon and go to "Properties"   
     (or you can go to Start | Run| and type in:  systempropertiesadvanced.exe and go to step 3)

2.  Click "Advanced system settings"  (in Vista, its on the left side panel, not sure about Win2003)

3.  Once you have the Advanced System Properties dialog open, click the 'Advanced' tab and click 'Settings' under 'Performance'.

4.  Click 'Data Execution Prevention' tab. If you have DEP turned on for ALL programs and services, then you will need to click 'Add..' and locate "Bit_Che.exe" (most likely C:\program files\bit che\bit_che.exe). 

OR.. you can select Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only. Windows 2003 Server is the only OS that has DEP turned on by default for ALL programs and services, so its up to you if you want to relax this security option a little and only protect Windows programs and services.

5. Now that you have either DEP turned on for only essential Windows programs and services, OR have added 'Bit_Che.exe' to the execption list, click OK and reboot!

6. Bit Che should now work with Windows 2003 server! :)

sorry it took so long to figure this out!, haha.. but better late than never  ;D
-chip

ps, further reading on DEP if you want:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Execution_Prevention
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 05:20:29 am by chip! »
  -  https://convivea.com  -   And...  boom goes the dynamite.